The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat is a nonprofit organization dedicated to smarter, more
sustainable cities and a more viable future for global populations. CTBUH convenes the shapers of cities,
providing the knowledge and resources that will transform cities into dense and livable centers of innovation.
CTBUH is seeking a Research Assistant to work in our Research and Thought Leadership group, to assist initially
with a two-year project exploring and documenting the use of steel-timber hybrid structural systems in high-rise
buildings, and then ideally to transition into additional research roles. This position involves the coordination of
the delivery of several outputs serving to disseminate practical information to the building industry, including
a significant material life-cycle cost analysis. The person in this role must thus possess knowledge of steel
fabrication and construction techniques, including when used in hybrid or composite action with timber, material
life-cycle and cost analysis (LCCA), and ideally has previously worked in a closely-related field. Additionally,
excellent interpersonal and communication skills, along with strong quantitative and analytical capabilities, are
required. This is a full-time position based in CTBUH’s Chicago headquarters.
CTBUH is headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, with offices in Italy and China. This position is located in Chicago.
• Undertake dedicated outreach to stakeholders in the tall building, steel, and timber industries, via email
questionnaires, phone calls, and face-to-face discussions around the project topic.
• Undertake a detailed Life-Cycle and Cost Analysis (LCCA) on select steel-mass-timber-hybrid high-rises, with
the objective of understanding the implications of material types, quantities and proportions on the cost,
environmental impact, and constructability of tall buildings with steel-timber hybrid structural systems.
• Coordinate with CTBUH staff to collect content developed internally and by the Steering Committee for editing
and incorporation into widely published program outputs, including a Research Report and self-contained web
portal / digital resource.
• Assist in the development of the CTBUH tall building and urban database.
• Assist in the development of proposals for future projects.
• Relevant experience in steel fabrication and construction techniques, including interaction of steel and timber
components, with at least a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
• Knowledge and experience with environmental-impact assessment regimes, including but not limited to life-
cycle analysis (LCA) and Environmental Product Declarations (EPDs)
• Excellent administration skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Practical knowledge of effective research methods
• Ability to multitask
• Ability to work under pressure
• Excellent time management skills
• Advanced degree
Please note that the above attributes and qualifications are a guide and important. However we recognize that
suitable candidates could possess other strengths not mentioned here. The important goal is to secure the right
person to help move us forward with our important and exciting research mission.
We believe at CTBUH that our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our staff and the community we
serve. We encourage applicants to review our diversity statement at ctbuh.org/edi-committee-statement.
CTBUH provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits
discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin,
disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other
characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion,
termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please send a brief cover letter explaining why you would be ideal for this role, along with a resume outlining work experience to [email protected]
See the job posting for the formal announcement.