Advisory Group, Member (2011-present)
John Portman & Associates
John D. Nipaver first joined John Portman & Associates (Portman) in 1984 and distinguished himself as one of the firm’s leading project managers, completing the award-winning 60-story SunTrust Plaza well ahead of the schedule and budget. He rejoined Portman in 2002 after seven years in the Atlanta firm he started as NB+A Architects, Inc., where he served as the partner-in-charge of design and production for major projects in both the public and private sectors in the United States. Mr. Nipaver’s architectural career began in 1974 in Chicago, Illinois with Skidmore, Owings and Merrill (SOM).
Mr. Nipaver has demonstrated exceptional ability to design and manage a wide range of projects, from very large mixed-use developments and 100+ storied towers, to smaller scaled hotels and residential developments. His ability to communicate effectively with the client, design team and all of his consultants and to follow through with the necessary action has enabled him to deliver these challenging projects. He subscribes to a theory of synergy where the sum of the parts when added together has a far greater total effect than their individual value. To that end, he embraces collaboration in architecture and believes far greater quality and success can be achieved by working together with clients, consultants and contractors than by working alone.
Project experience includes:
- Incheon 151 Tower/Incheon, Republic of South Korea
- Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel, Convention Center and Theater/Schaumburg, Illinois, USA
- Atlanta Gift Mart Expansion/Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Guomai Office Building [Waigaoqiao, North Pudong] Shanghai China
- Hilton San Diego Bayfront Hotel & Parking Deck, San Diego, California, USA
- New Asia Center Center/Shanghai, China
- Center Street Apartments [1996 Olympic Housing] at Georgia Tech/Atlanta, Georgia USA
- One Sun Trust Plaza/Atlanta, Georgia USA
- NorthPark Town Center Master Plan Buildings 100, 400 and 500 Buildings, Atlanta, Georgia USA
- Nortel Networks Alpharetta Campus/Alpharetta, Georgia USA