I am very pleased to be able to introduce myself as the new Chairman of the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, since October 24, 2009. I am also pleased to report that the CTBUH 2009 Chicago Conference was very successful, with 615 individuals participating from 35 different countries. I must give much thanks to the Conference Organizing Committee, the staff of the Council, the many volunteers, Mr. Antony Wood and Mr. David Scott who have put forth great effort to organize this conference.As I mentioned during the conference, I am very proud to be elected as the Chairman at this point in time when the Council’s global status and influence are greater than any time before. As Chairman, I do feel much responsibility to keep this standing in the years to come.
Also, I am honored and energized by the fact that since the foundation of the Council by the first Chairman, Professor Lynn Beedle, I have now become the second Chairman as an academic professor and the first Chairman from Asia. Based on what former Chairmen have achieved for the Council, my duty as the next Chair during the term is to achieve an even greater influence of the Council within the industry and within academic institutions.
The master plan that I have organized for the two-year term of my chairmanship is as below:
- The first of my goals is to introduce more organizational members for the Council. A focus on more academic experts would be beneficial in terms of diversity, since the number of Council academic members has always been less than members from the industry. In addition, I will work my best to increase the number of members in Asia specifically, where recent demand for tall buildings has been concentrated…
- Secondly, I will introduce more corporate members to enhance our status in related industries and to contribute to the Council’s financial stability.
- Thirdly, I will revitalize the Council’s Working Groups so that members may receive timely technical information in the field of tall buildings and urban habitat.
- Fourthly, I will seek plans to involve current students, who will lead our industry in the future, to raise more interests and participation within the Council.
- And lastly, I desire to find ways to better communicate and cooperate with related organizations, such as the AIA, ASCE, AISC, and ACI.
Again, I would like to thank the members who elected me as the new Chairman. I assure you that I will do everything in my power for the Council to bring progress during my term as Chair, and I must not miss mentioning that I truly thank the devoted work of Mr. Scott.
Finally, we have only three months left until the CTBUH 2010 Mumbai Conference to be held 3rd - 5th February 2010 with the topic of Remaking Sustainable Cities in the Vertical Age. I am sure this is going to be another of the Council’s successful conferences. More details about this event are to be found on the website at http://ctbuh2010-india.com.
Sang Dae Kim